Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mormons are a funny bunch....

This week has been emotionally draining for many of the "ward-split speculators" in my ward, myself included. On Sunday, our wonderful Bishop Jason Merrill read a letter from our Stake Presidency that all of the Lincoln wards were invited to a special "Re-alignment" meeting. This meeting will be this Sunday night at 7pm in our stake center and involves Lincoln 1st, 2nd, & 3rd wards and they will be creating Lincoln 5th ward. Wow!! People have been wondering when this would happen. Lincoln 2nd ward is GINORMOUS, we have over 800 members in our ward. As soon as our time changed to 10:30am from 8:30am all of a sudden we gained like 200 more members (not morning people I suppose). We were filling up the foyers with families who couldn't fit in the cultural hall during sacrament, it was crazy. Well, I believe the stake felt inspired that now was the time to make the change. This is hilarious. As soon as people hear "the ward is splitting" everyone goes crazy speculating....

"Oh, I'm sure Brother So-and-so is going to be the new bishop, definitely bishop material....."

"They can't possibly cut Such-and-such neighborhood out of the ward, that's where all the youth live...."

"Well, I heard from a really, really good source that our Stake will be splitting soon, so this is only temporary...."

"I work with the boy scouts and they showed me the new scout troop boundaries including the new ward boundaries, they're cutting your neighborhood out of the ward....." (Thanks Josh!)

"There's no WAY they'll release Brother Watchamacallit, he's only been in for 2 years...."

"How could they draw the boundary up Watsadoodle street, they need the leadership of the Smithjoneson Family in our ward!!"

Nobody knows for sure what they're doing (unless they're directly involved), but it's just so fun to speculate, wonder, predict, and hypothesize what might happen on Sunday night. This is such typical Mormon behavior, it's just part of our culture, it's what we do. I'm sure there are those rogue saints out there who just sit back, content in their faith and testimony that it is all inspired. I too have a testimony that even these insignificant life changes are truly inspired of God, but it's so much fun to go CRAZY wondering what future ward lies ahead......

4 comments:

Tiffani said...

We weren't at church on Sunday to hear the announcement so we missed all of the drama. We are excited for the change and also a little sad because there are lots of people that probably won't be in our ward that I would have liked to get to know better. One thing is for sure, we will still be in the same ward. See you tomorrow.

April said...

That is so funny!! You are totally right about everyone speculating! I am anxious to hear too...

Well, I have no news... this baby needs to come out soon, or else I am going to loose it!! :)

Thanks for coming on Wed. You are just so awesome!

Susanne said...

I love this post. What a bunch of truths!! It cracks me up and I try not to perpetuate it all, but its so darned easy!! Keep in touch if we get separated on the weekly basis, OK?

Tierra Lowry said...

Oh my gosh you are hilarious. I had to laugh at all the speculation comments. It is going to be tough with the ward splitting. We have a good one don't we?