Monday, January 28, 2008

The passing of our beloved Prophet, President Gordan Bitner Hinckley



" President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through twelve years of global expansion, has died at the age of 97.
President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since 12 March 1995.
The Church president died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from causes incident to age. Members of his family were at his bedside. A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days. "
- taken for the official website of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, http://www.lds.org/
I heard the news last night around 10pm and I just bawled. President Hinckley has been in the first presidency since I was first introduced to the church when I was 11 years old. He was the first counseler to President Ezra Taft Benson when I joined the church. He has been such an amazing part of the growth of the church over the last 12 years. He has been such an amazing example of hard work. He's has spent so much of the last few years traveling all over the world, visiting saints and dedicating temples, a great feat at his age. I absolutely adore his sense of humor and the great happiness he had for life. I was so sad for him when his sweet wife Marjorie passed away in 2004. I'm so glad that he can be with her now for eternity. It's hard not to be sad when you lose someone who has made such a difference in your life and in the life of millions all over the world. But, fortunately, I have the knowledge that he is in a better place, reuniting with our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ. He will be sorely missed by millions of people all over the world. We love you President Hinckley....

4 comments:

Julie said...

Thank you Cathi for your words. And the beautiful music to go with it. It will be a very solem next couple of days. I am so grateful for this church that ties us all together!! Love always, Julie

. said...

Cathi thanks for sharing your testimony. Hey by the way I love your highlighted please leave a message thing. I put a hit counter on my blog and I for sure am not getting as many comments as looks. Oh well atleast I know people are actually looking....right?

Susanne said...

Cathi- I'm so sorry if my question was a bit blatant and brazen today at April's shindig. Hopefully, it didn't force you into an uncomfortable situation. I'm keeping you in my prayers... You're a great friend, Cathi.

Becca said...

Hey Cathi! Funny how I found your blog -- through the card club, through Tierra's blog, through your photography blog. Thanks for your comments on our beloved prophet. I remember him more than Pres. Benson and Hunter since they were kind of sick and he was in the forefront. I was only sad until I thought of his welcome home -- especially with his wife, Marjorie. We are so blessed to know the plan.
Thanks for your example to me.
I have a blog, too:
http://brandibunch.blogspot.com
See you Sunday!
Becca