Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Counting my blessings....

The following quote was given to me at Christmas time in a journal from my friend and Relief Society President Jennifer Penney. The journal was to be a "Grateful Journal" like the one President Eyring spoke of in his conference address titled "Oh Remember, Remember". He reminded us to think often of our our many blessings and to record them for posterity. After the business of the holidays, I've finally been able to settle down and get back to normal. I finally picked up my new journal last night with the intention to write down some of my many blessings. I opened the journal and read this quote pasted in the front cover. It came at the exact time that I needed it. Even with the Gospel in my life sometimes I forget what to do when I'm having a hard time. This was the perfect reminder that I needed.

" Never forget that you came to earth as a child of the divine Father, with something of divinity in your very makeup. The Lord did not send you here to fail. He did not give you life to waste it. He bestowed upon you the gift of mortality that you might gain experience- that will lead to life eternal. He has given you this glorious Church, His church, to guide you and direct you, to give you opportunity for growth and experience, to teach you and lead you and encourage you.
Of course there will be some problems along the way. There will be difficulties to overcome. But they will not last forever. He will not forsake you."

When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done....
So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discourgaged, God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.
("Count Your Many Blessings" , Hymns, no. 241)
"Look to the positive. Know that He is watching over you that He hears your prayers and will answer them, that he loves you and will make that love manifest. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in all that you do as you look to become the kind of woman of whom you dream. You can do it. You will have friends and loved ones to help. And God will bless you as you pursue your course."

- Gordon B. Hinckley

7 comments:

Teneil said...

Loved the quote, Cathi! It's always good to be reminded of those things!

Tiffani said...

I am glad that I'm not the only one that struggles from time to time and I am glad that Hinckley knows just what to say to pick us up.

Kari said...

I love that quote! Thanks so much for sharing it. I know I can always use a little uplifting. Life as a stay at home mother can be so tough and draining and it is so great to be reminded of the things that matter most in our lives and who better to hear it from than our very own prophet. I think you are a great friend and mother, Cathi!!

April said...

What a great idea to use a journal that way. I have been slacking lately in that area and that is a great idea. I love that quote! We have such a great prophet who gives us exactly what we need to hear. You're the best Cathi! Love ya!

Kristin said...

I love this blogging thing, I feel like I can get to know everyone just a little better. That is such a good quote, and a great reminder!

. said...

At thanksgiving my mother and father in law did a family home evening on that talk and actually gave all of us a gratitude journal. I think it is great, thanks for sharing!

The Elmers said...

Hey Cathi, it's me katie! I love coming to your blog and seeing your new posts, (I added you ;) It is so uplifting! I feel sometimes that I get consumed with my own struggles that I forget to think of others who may be experiencing the same. That is an awesome idea to record blessings in a journal, I bet it really helps focus on the true purpose of life, and makes it easier not to let the day to day "drama" have such a huge impact on us! I hate to admit it, but I need to start a journal, and this really makes the task of just doing it seem a lot easier!! So thank you!