Friday, February 22, 2008

Our goldfish NEMO

Logan and Mason each won a fish at the school Harvest Festival in November. We wanted to Noah to have one too so we all went to PetSmart to buy supplies for the fish and let Noah pick one out too. Logan and Mason's fish died after only a week or two. But Noah's fish Nemo is still hanging around. He is a strong fish, let me tell you.
I'm really the only one who takes care of him. A week ago, while I was cleaning his bowl, I accidentally poured him down the garbage disposal. I looked up at Mason who was watching me and said "Oops, I guess Nemo is gone now. " Mason actually laughed. I felt really bad and kind of anxious. I looked down the sink and saw his life-less body sitting on top of last night's noodles. I realized he might still be alive so I reached in and grabbed a handful of noodles and Nemo and threw it in the fish bowl quickly, and too my surprise he started swimming around!!! Yahoo, Nemo is still alive, I didn't kill the family pet!
What a strong fish! He has been through a lot, that fish! We sure love Nemo!
Noah loves to climb on the counter and watch Nemo swim around. I read that kids who have a pet fish are actually better at math than kids without a fish. Not sure why, but at least my kids will have a good chance. We love you Nemo!

4 comments:

The Aldridge Family said...

I love that you saved Nemo. That is the most amazing rescue story I have ever heard.

P.S. I miss seeing you at church. I'm so glad I can at least see how you're doing on your family blog.

Susanne said...

I am so sorry, Cathi. But, that is probably one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time. I love it! Fish are surprisingly resilient, aren't they? Our first goldfish lived in a bowl just like that on top of our tv for a year. I'm so glad you were able to salvage him and that your son has such a good sense of humor!

I miss seeing you every week... I'll have to crash a RS activity one of these days!

Kari said...

Hahaha! That is so funny! I seriously was cracking up when I read this. I love that you named him Nemo. What a great rescue story!! You must be one proud Mama! Gotta love times like those!
Roman was so cute in Nursery today! It was kinda fun subbing in there today and luckily it wasn't as crazy as it's been before. Anyways, cute story about saving Nemo! We need to get together sometime!

Julie said...

I HATED our goldfish! I really counted the days until they died, not that I tried to kill them or anything. I can't believe you accidentally dumped him down the disposal and then actually got him out. But really, the thought of grinding up a fish in the disposal is really gross...I probably would've done the same thing.