Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Bitter Boys' Bug

Dave know's I've always wanted a Volkswagen, in fact, we almost bought a VW Jetta back in '98. Unfortunately, my VW dream never had anything to do with an old car, only a new car. His Volkswagen dream, however, starred an old 1967 Volkwagen Beetle. He's been wanting one for a couple years now. Some friends at work (thanks guys!) convinced him that buying an old beetle would be a great place to start learning how to work on cars. I'm really impressed that he's so anxious to learn how to work on cars, and even more excited that he wants to teach his sons too. I just didn't expect it to happen until Logan was a few years from driving. He's not even 8 yet!! Well, let me introduce the newest member of the Bitter bunch.....
We haven't named her yet, but the boys (all 5 of them) love her already! We picked her up on Saturday and they were already fighting who got to ride in the new car. Logan and Mason rode in the bug on the way to church and Noah hitched a ride with them on the way home. It was so cute to see the smiles on my boys' faces as they drove past me. I had to laugh when Dave would have trouble with gear switching after every red light. He's a little rusty at a manual transmission I suppose. As reluctant as I was to have Dave buy this old car, it seems to be pretty popular. I'll admit, it make's me smile.
Dave bought the car from one of his old Sunday School kids who restored it with his dad. They've done so much to this car, it's crazy. Dave really doesn't have much to work on for now. Maybe a wash down and some new carpet, but that's about it. It's in great shape and Dave's convinced me that they retain their value so I don't feel like (in this horrible economy..) we've made a bad investment. On the contrary, Dave thinks we've made a great investment, we'll see about that. ;)




8 comments:

. said...

SWEEEET! my first car that was all my own was a white bug. about as old as that one. it had lady bug feet mats!! it was totally almost falling apart, and I had to fix it all the time. When I drove in the snow I had scrape the inside of my windows at the stop signs. the heater sucked, but what good memories! I loved it for the whole year I had it till I upgraded to a new toyota, which was much friendlier for the girl with no mechanical skills. good luck am sure the boys will have a blast with it.

April said...

I can't stop laughing!!! You guys are the greatest! I love waiting for what the bitters do next! :) Tell Dave his bugs a beauty!

It was so fun to see you Friday! Hope your battle wound is okay! Your a trooper! Let's get together again soon for a crazy game night!

Kristin said...

That is awesome! Neal is all about old cars! Let Dave know Neal would love to help if he ever needs it! That is really ambitious of him!

Tierra Lowry said...

That is so cool. It looks like a little blueberry. Bryan always tells me stories about the Bug that he used to drive back in the day. Good times.
Those boys are going to have so much fun with daddy. What a great bonding opportunity.

The Elmers said...

OH my gosh how fun! Love the color too! I love vws too!! (side note: I used to work at Niello vw)

Julie said...

She's a beauty! Boys and there toys. Don't you just love how they tell us that it will be "a good project for me and the boys. We can bond." Their funny. But they do know how to work our buttons!

Julie said...

That's fun. I've always thought VW Bugs are cute. Investment though? I'm not so sure about that. : )

colin and brooke thompson said...

so cute! Those cars have the cutest personality.